Friday, December 17, 2010

The Future Belongs to those....

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams"
                                                                           Eleanor Roosevelt

As children, we are often asked where you want to be in 10 years, or 5 years and it is seldom we take the opportunity to evaluate this assessment made in years past.  We choose a path and see where it leads, we take on challenges as they come.  Sometimes we are forced to reassess in order to accomplish what we would like, for example staying home with our children, starting our own business, or going back to school.  In the last three months, I have chosen all of the aforementioned examples and as yesterday was my Birthday, I truly asked myself where I want to be in five years.

I have always loved building relationships and engaging with children, but this love extends to that of animals, as well.  When I was 14 years old, I went to Sea World and there I saw a trainer playing peek-a-boo with a sea lion, and it was the most amazing thing ever, and there my dream was forged.  At first I wanted to be a trainer, but this is a challenging gig to get both physically and because there is a waiting list for the job.  So with this in mind, I looked into other ways I could be involved with all these magnificent creatures.  While I still have a few classes to finish up my BS in Bio-chemistry, I hope to be entering or already in Veterinary School within the next 5 years.  Don't worry, there is more and it is about Photography.

I have been doing portrait photography and much more in the photography business since I was 16 years old.  I am going to refrain from telling you how many years since you know I just had a Birthday.  Photography is a passion.  A way to capture beauty and life the way I see it.  The way to preserve moments, actions, light, and so much more.  And the opportunity to share this with others is invaluable.  In entering this business for myself, I have truly found an amazing network of professionals that love to help each other out.  I have been blessed to be able to start this business, and am excited to watch it grow throughout the years.

With that said, here is where I would like Milestone Memories to be in 5 years.  I would really like to be getting booked about 3 months in advance with 3 to 5 sessions per week.  I would love to be getting newborns on a consistent basis.  I have always had a talent for teaching, so I really would like to be doing things like posing guides, joining with others to conduct seminars.  I really hope to start attending them in the next couple of years.  I look forward to selling storyboard templates and cards that I have created.  I really want to learn how to make digital paper, like soon.  I also want to join in some of the groups that do Portraits for Heroes and be able to donate my time and talent.  I may even start branching out into the wedding industry and see how I like it before this to take it on full time in 2016!

Thanks to everyone for the amazing Birthday wishes, and thanks to Mom for my Birthday dinner, and thanks to Duke's Chowder House for the amazing food and beautiful ocean view!  I wish everyone Happy Holidays.  I have a surprise session on Monday and will not post any pics until after Christmas in order not to ruin that surprise.  Also, stay tuned for my first creation in over 10 years...a newborn elf hat...pics to come tomorrow!

1 comment: